1. Use the right keywords in the right places like title, h1 tag and url . Make a list of all the possible keywords with the help of keyword tools, self research and client’s input. Then decide which one to be used based on competitiveness and place them in the right places so that Google is able to index your site by those keywords in the appropriate categories.
2. Silo your website i.e. cut the flab. Remove all the unnecessary code which is increasing your load time, remove all the old content which has not been refreshed in ages. Replace it with smart code and content.
3. Use evergreen content which will not lose its value with time. In addition to it, do not underestimate the importance of the seasonal content as well. Seasonal content can give unimaginable traffic in short spurts, whereas evergreen content will always ensure the supply of minimum desired visitors.
4. Leverage the importance of social media. Go after targeted audience, the masses and the influencers. The priority should be building the relationship. I repeat, create trust and make place for your acceptability. Not in your wildest dream send any spam to them. That would be the biggest blunder of your SEO career.
5. Build Email list. Capture your own audience. Entice them, educate them and entertain them. Your email subscribers will lay the foundation stone of your success. They could be your potential customers. Nurture them, if they love you , you will become the Lord of your niche, if not, you will continue to struggle.
6. Keep your website updated: Not for nothing the “The query deserves freshness’ is regarded as an important signal in terms of keyword ranking. Keep auditing your content, code and design on a periodic basis.
7. Keep learning: The world of online promotion is changing at a break neck speed. Even now when you are reading this, there are lots of new stuff happening in unknown corners of the world which you might not be aware of. Subscribe to important blogs, news feeds, keep an eye on all the important happenings of the SEO world. Stay updated to stay ahead of the curve.
If a SEO adheres to above mentioned fundamentals, his/her clients will never have to worry about their search engine ranking ever again.